top of page
< Back

Browne's Hospital Property; an 1845 terrier

Prof Alan Rogers

Browne's Hospital was a major Stamford charity which besides the hospital, bearing its name, on Broad Street was also a major land and property owner.

The PDF below is a copy of the terrier compiled in 1845 of all of the property owned by Browne's Hospital in the town of Stamford. It does not include the significant parcels of land outside of the towm walls and in other locations further afield. Land owned north of the town in what was called the Open Fields was enclosed in 1875.

The document below is important as it contains descriptions, site plans, names of tenants and names of owners of adjacent properties.

A copy of the terrier can be accessed HERE

bottom of page